Protocols & Safer Studio Guidelines
Welcome to Prima School of Dancing!
We have been working very hard on putting together a safe and effective plan to get our dancers back to class. The safety of our students, teachers, and staff is a top priority. We have prepared the following information to help you have a happy, healthy, and safe return to classes. Please review before your first class for the smoothest transition back to classes. We look forward to dancing with you soon!
Prima is a Safer Studio
Prima follows the More Than Just Great Dancing!® Safer Studio Guidelines which prioritize a hierarchy of safety and wellness measures including:
- Wellness checks for staff
- Wellness checks for dancers
- Enhanced cleaning procedures
- Social distancing practices
- Facility and classroom adjustments
- Parent communications
Please see below for the specific way Prima is applying these guidelines for our 2020-2021 season.
Wellness Checks for Staff
- Prima is a Youth Protection Advocates in Dance® Certified Studio (YPAD). Additionally, all teachers and staff members will receive regular and continuing safety training as it relates to preventing community spread of COVID - 19.
- All staff members are wellness checked before their shift.
- All staff members will wash hands and/or sanitize before and after each class.
Wellness Checks for Dancers
- Parents/guardians are asked to not send their dancer to class if he/she, or a member of their household, have a fever (100.4 is the guideline), respiratory symptoms, or other symptoms as presented by the CDC and related to COVID - 19. Parents/guardians are asked to not send their dancer to class if he/she, or a member of their household, have tested positive for COVID - 19 in the last 14 days.
- Dancers will be encouraged to wash hands and/or sanitize before and after classes. Each dancer is asked to have their own hand sanitizer as listed in the dancer supply list. Prima will also have hand sanitizing stations. Hand washing posters are posted within bathrooms and classrooms.
- We are proud to be a Tech-Enabled studio with the ability to offer an online E-learning platform for all classes in all studios.
- Hospital grade air purifiers in each studio. Our air purifiers are proven to remove particles 10 times smaller than the smallest virus.
- Plexi - guards in the office area for safety when conducting office transactions.
- New signage on the outside of the building to indicate studio locations.
- New signage throughout the building including social distancing markers.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures.
- Each studio has its own separate exterior Entrance/Exit. Doors will be opened for ventilation (weather permitting) in each studio to promote air circulation.
- Each studio has its own dedicated bathroom.
- The lobby waiting areas are temporarily closed for waiting and congregating during and in between class times. The front lobby is open for transactions only.
Enhanced Studio Cleaning Procedures
We have increased our cleaning frequencies and sanitation procedures in high traffic areas and high touch surfaces of the studio such as doors, barres, floors, counters, stereos, tumbling mats, and bathrooms.
Youth Protection Advocates in Dance (YPAD), is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to the protection of the health and safety of dancers. YPAD is made up of a highly-educated and esteemed Advisory Panel and a global community of members. Prima’s teachers and staff have completed YPAD training and Prima is a YPAD Certified Studio.
- Background checks for all staff and volunteers
- CPR/First Aid training for all staff
- Emergency and evacuation protocols for the studio
- Staff training classes in topics such as:
- Social media safety
- Positive role model choices
- Dancer health and injury prevention
- Body image, nutrition and eating disorders
- Mandated abuse reporting
- Anti-bullying education and conflict resolution
- Age-appropriate dance concepts, costumes, music, and movement
Closed Lobby Except for Transactions
- Our lobby waiting areas will be closed at this time, however parents/guardians will still be able to come into the lobby to conduct transactions.
Family Flexibility with Studio Support
- Our primary goal is to offer in-person classes when safe to do so.
- Each family will have the freedom to choose how they want their dancer to take class, whether that is in-person or online E-Learning. You will have the choice to flow between in-person classes and online E-Learning at your comfort level. Your tuition holds your spot in the class and our technology upgrades allow you the freedom to choose how your child takes their classes each week.
- An online E-learning option is available for all classes, for the 2020-2021 season if preferred by the dancer. (Office staff should be notified if you choose this option.)
- A transition to online E-learning for all dancers will happen if recommended or mandated - as listed in our Phases of Operation.
- If a transition to online E-learning is required studio wide, we will treat this as a temporary solution to continue the dancers training, with the knowledge that when safe to do so, Prima will transition back to in-person classes.
- The same excellent, high caliber dance training offered at Prima will be consistent, whether classes occur in-person or online.
- Office staff will be available during normal class times to provide customer service and answer questions.
2020-2021 Prima Phases of Operation
Prima’s new Phases of Operation system will be used to indicate the status of classes at Prima. There will be three Phases:
Phase 1 - TRADITIONAL (with safety protocols): Classes are in-person at the studio, following Safer Studio protocols.
- Mask wearing will be at individual/family discretion.
- Online E-Learning option available for all classes/families who choose this option.
Phase 2 - HYBRID: Indicates a cautionary phase, following Safer Studio protocols, potential smaller in-person class sizes with E-Learning.
- Masks wearing will be at individual/family discretion for in person classes, unless mandated by city, state, or national officials.
- Classes with a larger number of students may run on an alternating in-person schedule to reduce the number of in-person dancers in class. Half of the dancers in a class would be in-person, with the other half of dancers online, and then the dancers would alternate the following class/week.
- Online E-Learning option available for all classes.
Phase 3 - HOME: All dancers will have classes via online E-Learning.
- Depending on recommendations and possible mandates from our community and industry, we may also be able to offer in-person classes with masks as a transition between Phase 2 and Phase 3.
*Please note that our primary goal is to offer in-person learning whenever possible. We will follow guidance from local, state, and national officials as well as CDC guidelines to direct our decision on what phase we will operate in.
*Please visit our Prima School of Dancing and 2020-2021 Prima Family Facebook pages (Family page available mid-September), and Prima School of Dancing website at primadancing.com for Phases of Operation updates as well as frequently checking your emails for important Prima communication.
2020-2021 Dance Supplies
- Please have a smaller size dance bag to maximize space and social distancing practices.
- Dancers should come to class already in dress code and with proper dance shoes in their bag. The dressing rooms are closed at this time.
- Each dancer should bring their own water bottle - clearly labeled with their name. The drinking fountain will not be available.
- For Level 3 and higher ballet & non-ballet styles, please purchase a theraband.
- For Level 3 and higher non-ballet styles, we will need you to bring a yoga mat labeled 'A' on one side and 'B' on the other side. These will be used for any floor work we will be doing in class.
- 2020-2021 Dance Supply List: (For each dancer to have in their dance bag - preferably travel size when available):
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hair ties/Hair elastic bands
- Bobby Pins
Facility and Classroom Procedures
- We have made facility, scheduling, and curricular changes in support of social distancing recommendations. However, we understand that unlike older children and adults, young children cannot be expected to maintain social distancing at all times.
- All lobby waiting areas and dressing rooms will be closed unless specified. The office will still be open to conduct studio transactions.
- Please bring clearly labeled water bottles. Drinking fountains will not be available.
- Dancers will bring all dance bags into the studio for changing shoes. Dressing rooms will be closed. Bathrooms will only be available for their intended use; not as a dressing/changing room.
- No food will be allowed in the studio.
- Curricular adjustments have been made to eliminate prop use and hand-holding to reduce mixing and mingling in the classroom.
- Classrooms will refrain from high fives, ‘ballerina hugs’, fist bumps, stickers, and stamps.
- Classrooms will have a slightly early dismissal (5 minutes) to allow for student transitions.
- Please be on time to drop off and pick up your dancer(s) as they will not be able to wait in the lobby for their ride.
Arrival and Departure
- Each studio has its own entrance/exit with a red and white exterior sign to indicate location.
- Please limit parent drop off to one person whenever possible. Sibling visitors cannot be accommodated during this time and lobby waiting areas will be closed.
- Classes will dismiss 5 minutes prior to the class ending time to allow for social distancing during class transitions. The ending class will exit first then the incoming class will enter for their class.
- Parents/Guardians will be asked to wait outside for dancers to be released. Parents/Guardians can meet their dancer at the studio door to receive their dancer and walk them to their vehicle. Level 3 and under dancers cannot walk across the parking lots to go to their parents for safety reasons.
- Instructors/Staff will facilitate the transitions between classes.
- Please have your dancer to their class on time to maximize class time/instruction.
- Please be on time to pick up your dancer as our lobby waiting areas are closed and social distancing protocols will need to be practiced. (We do not want our instructors/staff to interrupt valuable class time to handle a late dancer pickup!)
Bathroom/Dressing Room Use
- We highly encourage all students to use the restroom at home before coming to class.
- Each studio has its own bathroom and will be cleaned frequently.
- Dressing rooms are closed at this time.
- Please come dressed in appropriate class dress code prior to arriving at the studio.
- Dancers who attend different class styles on the same day will be able to change their dance shoes in the studio.
- Dancers that transition to different class styles on the same day, will need to always wear a leotard and tights, but may add or remove leggings as the dance style allows, in the studio.
To keep up to date with important information from Prima and to view the Prima Phases of Operation please check your email, visit our website and join our two Facebook pages: our public page and our private 2020-2021 Prima Family page (available mid-September).
**These Prima Protocols are subject to change/updates, as needed and/or recommended, as we continue to provide excellent dance training while promoting the safety and health of our dancers, instructors and staff.